One of my favourite Thai dishes on the planet is an egg net salad. It’s fresh, zesty, spicy, and the nuts give a satisfying crunch.
I have masterminded a way to create a vegan version of this tasty dish by replacing the egg net with tofu skin (which is also called yuba or bean curd skin). Yes guys, YES!
Your local Asian grocer should stock yuba. The filling is made with my meat-free mince substituted Thai larb salad and has all the delicious flavours you’d expect in a great Thai salad.
This recipe will make a mildly spicy salad, so you can adjust the chilli to suit your taste. The filling is best served warm and is also delicious served in lettuce leaves if preferred. Any leftovers make great lunches the next day as it will taste even better once the flavours have infused together overnight.
Vegan Thai "Egg Net" Salad
One of my favourite Thai dishes on the planet is a fresh, zesty, spicy, and crunchy egg net salad. I've created a delicious vegan alternative using yuba!
- 4 servings vegan Thai larb salad
- 1 packet yuba (also known as bean curd skins), frozen, see recipe notes
- Remove the yuba from the freezer to defrost.
- Create the vegan Thai larb salad, which will become the egg net filling.
- Place a piece of yuba on a flat surface and cut into approx 20 x 25cm (7⅘ x 9⅘") rectangle. Put 1 cup of the salad filling just above the centre of the skin. Fold the edges in and then the fold the top over the filling. Roll the mixture over twice and cut off any excess skin. Carefully cut a few diagonal slices in the top of the roll to decorate. Repeat until you have used all the salad.
- You can find dried soy protein (TVP) at your local health food store. I use the small sized pieces, which have a closer resemblance to minced meat.
- Your local Asian grocer should stock bean curd skin in the freezer or refrigerated section. Avoid using the dried bean curd skin as it can be chewy.
- You can make this recipe ahead of time. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Please read the Silvobeat nutritional facts disclaimer.