Yes, you heard right, eggnog! But there are no eggs used in the production of this sweet number. Turmeric and spiced rum vegan eggnog is a quick and easy recipe to whip up, and it makes the perfect Christmas cocktail.
It’s so light and fluffy, and with delicious spices that smell and taste like a heavenly Christmas, it’s sure to warm up your happy heart.
If you think using chickpea liquid for a beverage sounds a bit weird, you’re not alone. Trust me though! It doesn’t taste of legumes at all and creates the same flavour and texture to whipped egg whites. Amazing, I know!!
Looking for some meal ideas for the festive season? Check out our recipe roundup of our favourites for the holidays!
Turmeric & Spiced Rum Vegan Eggnog
Turmeric and spiced rum vegan eggnog is a quick and easy recipe to whip up, and it makes the perfect Christmas cocktail. It's so light and fluffy, and with delicious spices that smell and taste like a heavenly Christmas, it's sure to warm up your happy heart.
- 200 mL unsalted chickpeas liquid only
- 250 mL soy milk or another non-dairy milk (I recommend Bonsoy soy milk as it's the creamiest and less likely to split)
- 45 mL spiced rum I use Captain Morgan Original Spiced Gold Rum
- 2½ tbsp agave syrup or another sweetener such as rice malt syrup, maple syrup, etc
- ¾ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 knitted Christmas sweater optional
In a mixing bowl, pour the liquid from the can of chickpeas and beat with an electronic beater for about 2 minutes, until soft peaks start to appear. Gradually add the sweetener and continue to mix it for a further 3-5 minutes, until semi-stiff peaks begin to form.
Optional: Scoop out ⅓ cup of the mixture and put it in a piping bag ready for garnishing.
Add the milk, rum, and turmeric to the remaining mixture. Beat until well combined.
Serve immediately; pour the mixture into serving glasses, pipe the reserved meringue on top, and dust with ground cinnamon.
- The eggnog needs to be immediately consumed as it'll begin to split over time. If you've left the mixture aside and it has separated, you can whip it again to re-combine.
Please read the Silvobeat nutritional facts disclaimer.