Okra, eggplant, and lentil cassoulet is the bomb, and it makes the ultimate comfort meal.
The flavour is smokey with loads of cumin and smoked paprika, and full of richness from the balsamic roasted eggplants and okra. Roasting the okra takes away the sliminess that’s otherwise inherent with this vegetable.
If you haven’t tried okra yet, this dish will convert you to their biggest fan!
Okra, eggplant, and lentil cassoulet is perfect for a dinner party as you can make it ahead of time, and it’ll have your guests licking their plates clean. It’s also an ideal dish to serve to meat eaters, as it’ll help them appreciate how delicious plant-based whole foods can be!
The recipe is made with healthy ingredients, enriched with nutrients and packed with protein, leaving you wondering how something so delicious can be so dang good for you!
Okra, Eggplant, & Lentil Cassoulet
Yield 4 large or 6 small bowls
- 1kg (2.2lb) fresh tomatoes
- 2 small brown onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or grated
- 2 small eggplants
- 1 cup French green lentils
- 230g (8.1oz) fresh okra, tops/stalk end removed
- 1 large rosemary sprig, stem removed
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp each ground cumin and smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp cracked black pepper
- Olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- Naturally flavoured coconut or soy yoghurt
- Few pinches of sumac and cracked black pepper (optional)
- Serve with grains such as rice or quinoa, mashed potato or cauliflower, or flatbread (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (356°F).
- Using a food processor (or a knife, if you prefer), briefly process tomatoes until they're roughly chopped.
- Slice the eggplant into strips, about 4cm (1⅗") long by 1cm (⅖") wide. Toss them in a bowl with 1 tsp of salt and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet or dutch oven over medium heat. Add 1 Tbsp olive oil, and then sauté the onion for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the rosemary and white wine, and then simmer on medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, vegetable stock, cumin, smoked paprika, and pepper. Add salt to taste. Bring to a simmer, then add the lentils, and cover with an oven-proof lid or foil. Remove from heat.
- Arrange the eggplant on a baking tray lined with baking paper, then drizzle over 1 Tbsp olive oil and toss to coat.
- Roast the tray of eggplant and the skillet of lentil tomato mixture in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove the tray of eggplant from the oven. Toss the okra in 3 tsp olive oil and a pinch of salt. Add the okra to the eggplants, toss to mix, then arrange the eggplant and okra on the tray in a single layer. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
- Remove the lentil sauce from the oven and stir, then put the tray of eggplant and okra, and the skillet of lentil sauce back in the oven for a further 15 minutes.
- Remove both dishes from the oven, add the eggplant and okra to the lentil sauce, stir gently to combine.
- To serve, scatter over the parsley, add a dollop of coconut yoghurt, drizzle the yoghurt with olive oil, and sprinkle with sumac and cracked black pepper. Serve with grains, mash, or flatbread.
- Why not make your homemade vegetable stock from your veggie scraps!
- You can make this recipe ahead of time and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, or freeze for up to 3 months.
Courses Lunch; Dinner
Cuisine French; Mediterranean