This Korean BBQ tempeh with salsa is proof that tempeh just got a whole lot sexier! Thinly sliced tempeh with Korean inspired BBQ marinade is complemented perfectly with the crispy green bean and pesto salsa, and toasted macadamias.
You might think a fusion of Asian and Mediterranean flavours sounds a bit strange, but trust me, it works!
This dish would make a delightful appetiser, or serve it with some rice or grains to turn it into a satisfying main.
Korean BBQ Tempeh & Salsa
You might think an Asian and Mediterranean fusion sounds a bit strange, however the Korean BBQ tempeh and salsa pairs to make a delightful, summer dish.
- 300 g tempeh sliced into ½ cm (⅕") slices
- ¼ cup macadamia nuts toasted and crushed into small pieces
- 120 g green string beans ends trimmed
- 2 Tbsp five minute lemon and basil pesto
- 120 mL fresh orange juice freshly squeezed (approximately 1 orange)
- 3 Tbsp tamari or substitute with soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 garlic clove minced
In a small bowl, whisk together all the marinade ingredients. Reserve ¼ cup of the marinade for later. Drizzle the rest of the marinade over the tempeh to evenly coat, and leave to marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes. Flip after 15 minutes to keep moist.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (356°F).
Steam the beans for 5-7 minutes, until cooked but still a little crispy. Be sure not to overcook them as some crispness will add texture to the dish. Once steamed, cool under running cold water or in an ice bath to prevent them from cooking further.
- Arrange the tempeh in a single layer on a large baking tray lined with baking paper. Drizzle over any marinade left in the dish that was used to marinate it. Using a pastry brush, brush the tempeh to coat evenly with the sauce.
Bake the tempeh for 10 minutes, then flip, and use half of the reserved marinade to brush over the tempeh. Bake for a further 5 minutes.
Slice the beans into ½ cm (⅕") slices, then mix with the pesto to create the salsa.
- Arrange the tempeh on a serving plate and brush the remaining marinade on top. Cover with the bean salsa and sprinkle over the crushed macadamias.
- For an extra smoky flavour, try adding 2 tsp liquid smoke to the BBQ marinade.
Please read the Silvobeat nutritional facts disclaimer.