These jacket potatoes with chipotle-tamari mushrooms and carrot salad bring a new age twist to this old school goodness.
The potatoes are baked until golden brown, smeared with mayonnaise, and loaded with the kind of toppings that will excite your senses and make you feel all cozy like you’re back in your mumma’s womb. Okay, so maybe not that cozy, but they’re definitely comforting AF! 😜
The charred chipotle-tamari mushrooms add an earthy, salty, and spicy flavour to the creamy potatoes, while the caramelised onions bring a level of sweetness to the umami flavours.
Drop a fresh and minty carrot salad on top, and you have yourself the perfect little potato package. The vibrant carrot salad comes alive with a maple, mustard, lime, and mint dressing – a real flavour sensation!
Jacket Potatoes with Chipotle-Tamari Mushrooms & Carrot Salad
These jacket potatoes with chipotle-tamari mushrooms and carrot salad bring a new age twist to the old school goodness with a flavour-sensation dressing.
- 2 potatoes medium-large, skin on, and cut in half lengthways
- 1 red onion peeled and finely sliced
- 150 g button mushrooms sliced into ½ cm slices
- 1 Tbsp tamari
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp ground chipotle powder optional, or substitute with chilli flakes
- 2 Tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- olive oil
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- 1 carrot medium-sized, spiralized or grated
- 2 medjool dates pip removed and sliced into quarters, lengthways (optional, for a sweeter salad)
- 1 Tbsp fresh mint leaves tightly packed, finely chopped
- ½ Tbsp fresh chives finely sliced
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp maple syrup
Bake the potatoes while preparing the other ingredients: Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a tray with baking paper. Add the potatoes and drizzle generously with olive oil. Season generously with salt and pepper. Using a pastry brush, brush the oil and seasoning over all sides of the potatoes. Keep the potatoes cut side facing up, and bake until soft and golden brown (about 1 hour). Flip over half-way. Drizzle with some extra olive oil if they're drying out.
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat. Add 1 Tbsp of olive oil and the onions, and saute for about 5 minutes until they soften. Add the mushrooms, tamari, turmeric, and chipotle powder. Sautee until very well browned and beginning to look charred, about 10 minutes. The mushrooms will have a better flavour and texture if you remove them from the heat when they're very well-done.
Add all the carrot salad ingredients to a medium bowl, and season with salt and pepper. Toss well to combine.
Remove the potatoes from the oven and place on serving plates. Using the back of a fork, press down into each potato a few times to mash up and soften the centre. Add a spoon of mayonnaise on top of each potato, and top with the mushroom mixture and carrot salad.
- The chipotle gives a mild level of spiciness. Feel free to substitute it for something else if you have a different type of chilli in the cupboard, such as flakes or fresh chilli, or don't include it if you don't like spicy food.
Please read the Silvobeat nutritional facts disclaimer.