This black rice salad with wasabi vinaigrette, strawberries, edamame, and avocado is not only enticing for your eyes with it’s vibrant, inviting colours, it’ll also stimulate your taste buds with its unusual yet incredible flavour combination.
The sweet tartness of the strawberries pairs perfectly with creamy avocado, and the vinegarette has a mild wasabi flavour to add the perfect zing to enlighten your senses. The almonds and edamame add a fun tactile texture and crunch to the soft rice.
It’s the perfect salad for your spring and summer gatherings, and you’ll be sure to impress your guests with the intriguing flavours of this vibrantly coloured dish.
Forbidden Black Rice Salad with Wasabi Vinaigrette
Yield 3 mains (or 6 side dishes)
- 1 cup black rice
- 1 cup edamame peas (shell removed)
- 1 avocado
- 250g (8⅘oz) fresh strawberries, cut in half lengthwise (remove the stems, but you can leave the edible leaves on for a more attractive presentation)
- ⅓ cup roasted almonds (optional)
- Pea tendrils to garnish (or substitute with watercress or other microgreens)
- 1 tsp wasabi paste
- 2 Tbsp mirin
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- Wash and drain the rice, and then cook it per the packet instructions. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Boil the edamame peas in water for 5 minutes, then drain and set aside to cool.
- Roughly crush the almonds using a mortar and pestle, leaving some large chunks to give it texture.
- In a small bowl mix all the vinaigrette ingredients until well combined.
- Cut the avocado in half lengthwise, then remove the pip and the skin. Cut each of those halves in half lengthwise, and then finely slice it without separating the pieces.
- Add the rice to a large bowl, top with strawberries, edamame, fanned out avocado slices, almonds, and some microgreens to garnish. Drizzle the vinaigrette all over the salad. Serve immediately.
- You can find edamame peas in the freezer section at most Asian grocers.
- You can use whichever black rice you have on hand. After trying several different types of rice, I found that forbidden black rice has the best texture for this dish as its short grain texture is similar to sushi rice.
Courses Small Meals; Large Meals; Side Dishes