Who knew beetroot and passionfruit were made for each other? Fresh and vibrant, with intriguing flavours, and it only takes a few minutes to throw together!
The perfect balance of sweetness and tartness comes from the beets and fruit, brought together with a zesty orange dressing, and delightful crunch from the toasted macadamias. It makes this an ideal summer salad and can be served as a main or as a side dish.
Beetroot and Passionfruit Salad
Yield 2 large or 4 small
- 120g (4⅕ oz) baby spinach leaves
- 250g (8⅘ oz) pre-roasted beetroot, cut into wedges (approximately 5 small beetroots)
- 4 passionfruit
- 125g (4⅖ oz) blackberries (optional)
- ½ cup toasted macadamia nuts, halved (optional)
- Handful fresh basil leaves, torn
- 2 small or 1 large radish, finely sliced
- 4 Tbsp fresh orange juice (1 large orange)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil or grapeseed oil
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- generous pinch each of salt and pepper
- Arrange the spinach on a serving platter or individual plates. Scatter the beetroot on top. Garnish with torn basil leaves, radish, blackberries, and macadamia nuts.
- Whisk together all of the dressing ingredients. Drizzle over the top of the salad.
- Using a teaspoon, scoop out the pulp from 3 of the passionfruit and drizzle each spoonful over the salad to garnish.
- Cut the remaining passionfruit in half and serve it on the side of the salad (sprinkle with a little sugar if desired).
- Serve with wild rice or quinoa to turn the dish into a main meal.
- Some supermarkets now sell pre-roasted beetroots in the fruit and vegetable section. Alternatively, you can pre-cook them yourself.
Courses Small Meals; Side Dish; Salad
Cuisine Modern Australian